Dhokla, in short, is the pride of the Gujarati culture in the western regions of India. It is a snack that is relished by people all across the country. This is made with shredded cabbage, grated cauliflower, crushed Dhokla and a few spices. It is an easy to make Gujarati dish, that takes up just 10-15 minutes of your time and produces a mouth watering taste that captures the interest of all the people. It has a rich yellow color, with a thick texture. The best part about Dhokla is that it can be eaten for breakfast, as a main course, as a side dish or even as a snack!
Ingredients for 4 servings of Dhokla:
· Dhokla, 250 grams
· 1 small finely shredded Cabbage,
· 1 Cauliflower
· 2 tablespoons of Oil
· 4-5 dried red chilies
· Asafetida, 1/4th teaspoon
· 1 teaspoon of Mustard seeds
· 1 tablespoon, split black gram skinless (dhuli urad dal)
· 1/2 teaspoon of Carom seeds
· 6-8 Curry leaves
· 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric powder
· Salt, to taste
· 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
· The oil is heated in a frying pan. The red chilies are cut into 4 pieces and the seeds are removed.
· Asafetida, mustard seeds, urad dal, carom seeds, curry leaves and red chilies are added to the pan and they are mixed well.
· The cauliflower and cabbage pieces are then added to the pan and mixed. This is followed by turmeric powder and salt. This is allowed to cook for 5-7 minutes, under covered conditions.
· The Dhokla is crushed and added to the pan. This needs to be mixed well.
· Add lemon juice to taste.
This is then served hot and enjoyed with friends and family, alike. Dhokla has been cherished for years and has been passed down the generations, as one of the most traditional Gujarati dishes. It has an easy preparation and requires just a few ingredients to create a mouth watering dish! Dhokla has a lot of carbohydrates and proteins. However, one should refrain from regular consumption if there is an excessive level of cholesterol in the body. This contains a lot of fat. Occasional consumption of Dhokla however does not create any issues in the body.
This ecstasy from Gujarat has been made popular all across the country!